Forum posts not searchable

Topics: User Forum
May 23, 2006 at 3:23 PM
Hi again,

I know that the Custom Lists you have used are Hidden From Browsers using FrontPage, but apparently the search engine won't capture their contents either, which makes the entire forum unsearchable.

I feel this actually makes the existing Discussion Forum web part a better one since it obeys SharePoint's basic content management philosophy. (i.e. When you search, you see everything on a site you are supposed to see.)

Is there any way we can make the messages a publicly viewable List that SharePoint can then index? (I'm going to try to experiment with this on my own.)

Thanks,
Chelle
May 23, 2006 at 6:18 PM
More info: Unhiding the Lists did not appear to make a difference. Still not searchable. Strange...

Chelle
Coordinator
May 23, 2006 at 6:54 PM
It's hidden internally (via a flag) and searching in list items does require a bit of extra configuration on the users installation part (in WSS).

I am adding a search for just the forums because security is performed differently than access to the site (all access to the forum is performed via the AppPool user) so that's probably why you won't see search results (unless you're an admin).
Coordinator
May 24, 2006 at 2:00 PM
Just an update. Search has been added as a work item for the next release. You can view the work item here:
http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?ProjectName=SPFORUMS&WorkItemId=147
May 31, 2006 at 12:59 PM
If doing a portal search ("All Sources"), will items in the forums be returned? In other words, if I do a normal Sharepoint "All Sources" search on "JAVA", will it return the Java Coding Standards document from a document library AND the forum posts related to Java, or just the document?
Coordinator
May 31, 2006 at 9:45 PM
As far as my tests go (and I could be wrong) you won't get any search results from the forum through the standard SharePoint search.