errors displaying a page - 2 out of every 3 pages failing

Topics: User Forum
Aug 30, 2006 at 5:40 PM
We launched our discussion group service today - so far we have 105 users (out of 2000).

It has gone well, with one exception. We do seem to get a lot of occasions where pages are not displayed but we get an error message instead. This can happen when we tell it to put in a post and it is touch and go whether the post goes in or is lost.

It did seem as though it was closely connected to having lots of users - and probably related to clashes where people to access the same resource. At its worst, I would get half a dozen to ten failures in a row and I would say typically 2 out of every 3 actions would fail. I'm obviously worried what the long term impact of this would be.

Do you have any idea what this might be, and how it could be fixed? In the next release? Is there any information I can provide that will help you narrow down what the problem is?

Cheers

Eric
Sep 4, 2006 at 12:14 PM
As an example, we get a lot of errors like this:-

Error

The specified name is already in use.

A list, survey, discussion board, or document library cannot have the same name as another list, survey, discussion board, or document library in this Web site. Use your browser's Back button, and type a new name.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:23 PM
And we also get this:-

Error

An unexpected error has occurred.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily disable Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:48 PM
And this:-

Error

Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:50 PM
and this:-

Error

Exception occurred.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:16 PM
and this:-

Error

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E05.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:24 PM
and here is another one -

Error

SQL Server Error

The SQL Server might not be started.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:26 PM
This is a novel one!

Error

Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running. For tips on troubleshooting this error, search for article 823287 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:40 PM
We have a call into MS support about sharepoint, and one of the things that came back were some COM interop exceptions in the forum web part. They gave us a snapshot of the analysis dealing with the exception:
Number of exceptions of this type: 6

Exception 185c65d4 in MT 02c40594: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException

_message: Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running. For tips on troubleshooting this error, search for article 823287 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

_innerException:

Exception 185c6370 in MT 79c2a76c: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

_message: Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running. For tips on troubleshooting this error, search for article 823287 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

_stackTrace:

0243ada0

05adf3ce DEFAULThasThis Void Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.a.a(String,String,I4,UI4,UI4,Boolean,Boolean,ByRef UI4,ByRef UI4,ByRef Object)

0c51ec20

_stackTrace:

05adf3f3 DEFAULThasThis Void Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.a.a(String,String,I4,UI4,UI4,Boolean,Boolean,ByRef UI4,ByRef UI4,ByRef Object)

0c51ebd8

05adf2db DEFAULThasThis Void Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String)

0c51ec74

02c40c50

05adf198 DEFAULThasThis Class Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(String)

0c51ec94

02c40bf0

0ae20d24 DEFAULThasThis Boolean BilSimser.SharePoint.WebParts.Forums.Core.Service.Builders.ListBuilder.get_ListExists()

0c51eca4

04a409c0
Sep 5, 2006 at 4:45 PM
Er.. I forgot to add that this was taken from a dump we did last week. We have 44 users in the member list for the web part. We have one category, 14 topics, and 55 posts.
Sep 5, 2006 at 4:47 PM
That looks very interesting.

I was wondering if it was just me and if we needed to do something with our Sharepoint config to make them all go away.

Are you getting the same problems with your users getting lots of error messages?

Are you thinking that it is the Web part and not the Sharepoint configuration?
Sep 5, 2006 at 5:21 PM
Well, those errors are specific to the Forums web part. We also have some problems with other web parts that are also being troublesome, but these errors were standing out. The MS support guy (who actually knows his stuff, for a change), said that the exceptions need to be fixed/handled before he can tell if there is a config issue.
Sep 5, 2006 at 5:24 PM
As for errors, I haven't heard any reports of errors, but I did get a few when the web part was installed first. However, we have been having out of memory errors before the web part was installed, so people may not be reporting any new errors, thinking it is the same thing.
Sep 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM
and this -

Error

List does not exist

The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user. Click "Home" at the top of the page to return to your Web site.

And also this

Catastrophic failure

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:53 AM
Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running. For tips on troubleshooting this error, search for article 823287 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

Just to confirm, we have obviously checked out all the items in this KB article and our config is OK.
Sep 7, 2006 at 11:37 AM
This won't help (I'm just befuddled!) but.....

It crashed out when I was trying to post a new subject in our most active forum (not big - only about 31 posts). From then on, it was impossible to get into that forum at all - it just crashed out everytime. I could get into all the smaller forums.

I had a look at the lists and there was the new topic I had tried to create but no post. So I deleted the topic, and now I can get in sometimes.

I also seem to be having more luck if I try to avoid displaying the main index page - so I use the forum navigation instead. Share users have to display the index when they first try and enter.
Sep 7, 2006 at 12:16 PM
It's lunchtime now. I seem to be able to get in fine. Bet the problems will start again when lunch finishes at 1:30.
Sep 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with clashes between users.

At lunchtime it is better, and now people have gone home it is better. It was Ok before we went live and I was the only person using it.

During work hours it is just impossible, and 99.9% of our users are just giving up.
Sep 7, 2006 at 5:37 PM
I found this KB article which does address the database connection issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911285

Not sure when we will be able to apply it though..
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2006 at 4:40 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the (long) list of errors. I need to go and do looking at what's going on and how we're doing it in the forums. I do assure you that we're not doing silly stuff like direct database access or anything. Everything is simply calls to the object model so it's all just regular SharePoint list access, nothing special there. Not sure why you might have so many errors so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks.
Sep 11, 2006 at 7:52 PM
ok.. this is probably a stupid suggestion, but are you closing all your webs and sites? They do not get cleaned up automatically even in a for each loop.
Sep 12, 2006 at 5:18 PM
I got this error today, and it seems to have some unintended consequences:

An error has occurred with the Forums Web Part. See the details below for more information.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E05.

Email error information to support

The email error was a link that just opened up an about:blank browser window.

After the error the stats said:
There are 1,104 posts in 23 topics in 1 forums.
We have 45 registered members.

There are only 74 posts (I verified this by going to the list), but the members, topics and forums counters are correct.

Where is the list with that topic count? I will need to change it before some of our more irritable staff members declare the forums unusable because that number is wrong.

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:33 PM
Does a 'recalculate totals' help?

I have to say I have told people that the counts are not 100% and not to rely on them. I'm not sure it is something that matters that much? Bil is on the case, so I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

As for the crashing, it is driving our users away - we are really only getting a handful of posts every day because people just can't get in. Sadly, as the problem is entirely around several people using it at once, it is starting to get more reliable, because fewer and fewer people are using it.
Sep 14, 2006 at 5:41 PM
Because of the issues with the recalculate totals, I am not going to do that until the weekend.
Sep 15, 2006 at 8:58 PM
More from MS PSS:
Basically, it seems that database connection issues may be causing the problems. The connections are timing out and causing exceptions in the web part. We are hoping that SP2 for sharepoint portal and a post SP2 patch for Sharepoint portal will alleviate these issues.
Sep 18, 2006 at 10:02 AM
Any luck?

Which post SP2 patch do you think will help?
Sep 18, 2006 at 10:10 AM
I am not sure what the patch number is, but it has something to do with improving the SQL execution plans.
Sep 18, 2006 at 4:40 PM
Cheers. Do you have any idea when you might try the update? Could you let us know how you get on and which patch it is?

Many thanks

Eric
Sep 19, 2006 at 1:43 AM
That's in the hands of our systems team, so it's hard to tell. Hopefully it will be in the next down time which is 2 weeks away. I will let you know once I find out the kb number for the patch.
Sep 19, 2006 at 3:39 PM
Thanks very much.

One thing that has just struck me, that might be relevant. Prior to going live with the forums, we upgraded our Sharepoint server to SP1, the most recent updates - and SQLServer 2005.

Bil - might there be an issue with 2005 - what version of SQLServer is under your setup?
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Most of the testing was with 2003 so it had SQL 2000 behind it but I'm now testing the 2007 version which is sitting on top of SQL 2005.

However, as I always advocate, there is no direct access. Any access to the backend data store is through the object model.
Sep 22, 2006 at 9:47 AM
I thought I'd take an example post from one of our more enthusiastic and supportive users:-

KFRS Forums
Egan, Brett BA Posted: 22-Sep-06 9:24 Reply | Edit | Quote

Just spent ten minutes composing a reply, went to post and an error message came up, went back but my posting had dissappeared! What a complete waste of time!

Additionaly the forum site takes too long to load, if it loads at all! More error messages!!!!! Same for each of the individual forums. In the interest of not spending too long in this area it needs to operate swiftly and efficiently.

If it carries on like this then everyone will give up!!!!!

Angry of Ops Services! :-( :-( :-( :-(
Sep 22, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Bil,

judt to clarify a bit. The system that Eric is refering to is running SPS2003 with SP2 and your forums version 1.2.

Something I've just noticed in the Application Event Log is an error stating:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 1000
Date: 22/09/2006
Time: 06:52:19
User: N/A
Computer: KFBSPSWEB01
Description:
Error: Failure in loading assembly: BilSimser.SharePoint.WebParts.Forums, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e516dadc23877c32

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

any idea what is still trying to access the old dll?

John S
Sep 22, 2006 at 12:32 PM
Is the KB you are referring to this one - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900929/ ?
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2006 at 3:13 PM
Ahh, thanks John. I didn't notice it was the old assembly throwing the error. Maybe I need to check the references and see what's going on. Thanks!
Sep 22, 2006 at 4:38 PM
"Is the KB you are referring to this one - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900929/ ?"

I believe it is a post sp2 portal patch instead of a post sp2 wss patch. Still trying to get the numbers. It looks like we will not be installing this stuff until the end of october though.
Sep 27, 2006 at 3:19 PM
Now, PSS is saying that we only need to install SP2 for Sharepoint Portal. This will apparently fix the cannot connect to SQL Server issue.
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:59 PM
Bil;

any ideas about why the 1.1 dll is still being called? It's generating so many errors and I don't have a clue how to stop it.

JS
Oct 2, 2006 at 1:35 PM
'Now, PSS is saying that we only need to install SP2 for Sharepoint Portal. This will apparently fix the cannot connect to SQL Server issue.'

Ahh - we are already SP2 and getting errors all over the place :(

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:44 AM
I am getting many of these errors too.
When I click on Today's Posts link I get:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily disable Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.

When trying to post I intermitently get and exception occurred

and/or HRESULT 80040E05

It really makes it unusable as I am getting these every few clicks
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:55 PM
It's starting to get worse on our portal now too. Still usable, but the errors are becoming more frequent.
I read something about the hresult error that suggested it might be caused by multiple threads accessing a list simultaneously. Don't know if Bill is using threading in this web part though.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2006 at 2:33 AM
Hmm, this is a pain. So it seems about 3 people are getting similar errors. The only trouble is that a) I'm not doing anything special in the web part, just plain old list access. No direct database calls, no multi-threading, nuttin. The one thing I will double-check is closing down of old webs and whatnot however you wouldn't experience a crash but rather your IIS worker process would probably balloon to gigabytes of memory usage. However that's the only thing I can think of right now. b) it's hard to reproduce. I've tried to simulate users on systems using whatver tools there are and never seens these kind of errors.

So I'm stumped right now. Like I said, I've fallen behind in releases as there are some other projects I'm in final delivery of. once those are done I have to put together my presentations for DevConnections so not sure if I'm going to be able to get to the forum for another week or two.

Man, this really sucks. I need a clone.
Oct 30, 2006 at 3:50 PM
There is the possibility that it is just plain ol' sharepoint causing the problem. A lot of our problems seem to be at the database end, where queries are getting queued and things get timed out. Maybe all you need is just an extra try/catch in there to account for that?
Oct 30, 2006 at 8:27 PM
Hi Bill,

I think the worker process is it. Almost every time I get an exception error, this is logged in the event log:

I would think this is just a sharepoint issue unrelated, but it is only happening with this webpart.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1077
Date: 10/30/2006
Time: 4:24:04 PM
User: N/A
Computer: myservername
Description:
A worker process with process id of '4172' serving application pool 'wss' has requested a recycle because it reached its virtual memory limit.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2006 at 2:00 AM
Ahh, nice catch. Thanks for the info everyone. I mean it. I just plain don't have the time to track down things like this blindly so this helps. I'm pretty sure I was probably on too much crystal meth or something one night and forgot to free up a resource. I'll dig in and find it now as I think that might be causing the problem. Again, thanks for the help in tracking this down. Drinks are on me if you come to DevConnections in Vegas next week where I'm speaking.
Nov 3, 2006 at 5:51 PM
When I do a search for a keyword that would return lots of results, it will always fail. The errors are varied, from Hresults, Server app failed, "Error Occured", and other such wonderfully detailed messages.
Nov 21, 2006 at 8:29 PM
I just downloaded the latest release and installed it. I had one other user in the forums testing while I was and we managed to get almost every one of the exceptions listed above. It works fine if only one of us is active but it appears there is Win 2k3 Server, SQL 2k, SPS 2003 w SP2. We were really hoping to use the Forums web part however with over 1000 portal users I don't think the it will be able to handle the load.

I'd be willing to take a look at the source to see if I can debug the issue for you Bill. I checked under Source Code but there aren't any files available. Can I get access to the files?
Nov 21, 2006 at 8:31 PM
Correction for previous pose...

I just downloaded the latest release and installed it. I had one other user in the forums testing while I was and we managed to get almost every one of the exceptions listed above. It works fine if only one of us is active. Environment - Win 2k3 Server, SQL 2k, SPS 2003 w SP2. We were really hoping to use the Forums web part however with over 1000 portal users I don't think the it will be able to handle the load.

I'd be willing to take a look at the source to see if I can debug the issue for you Bill. I checked under Source Code but there aren't any files available. Can I get access to the files?
Jun 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Hi,

Did anyone found the solution for this please?

Thanks,

Pravin

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM
hi guys for the record this is one the best business value solution u can give to client , but some where the code gone little crappy .... main problem is this code does not lot of try catch finally stuff, bil if u could implement this in coming version we can prevent pages going dead on error , coming to the point ... i think the dcom error it throws is because of web dispose methods not handled properly
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

@mpslnt: Totally agreed. The codebase is a few years old now and frankly I haven't looked at it in over a year. 2010 is now out and the codebase was actually written for SharePoint 2003 so many things are different today. For 2010 I'm just thinking of spinning up a brand new solution and using the bits that are relevant because so much has changed. I think this project is still useful, just need to find some time to reboot it.