Display errors

Topics: Developer Forum
May 31, 2006 at 1:14 PM
We seem to get exception errors being thrown up from the web part - is does anyone else experience them?

A web page is thrown up (error.aspx) either saying 'Exception occurred' or 'Cannot complete this action. Please try again'.

There is a slight thought that these have become more common as the dat has passed (more people using it? more posts?), but I'm not sure.

If you go back and retry the operation, you normally get the screen you wanted. I guess this suggests some sort of record locking? Obviously, if so, this would be a worry as we scale up from 16 users to 2,000.

Any ideas?
Coordinator
May 31, 2006 at 9:39 PM
There's no record locking going on, other than whatever SharePoint uses. The system uses SharePoint lists and just writes to the lists the same as any user would. It does check if it can't write and tries again but it won't get into a deadlock situation or anything.

As for your problem, I'm not sure. There have been times where things don't complete or there's an error (sometimes an HRESULT error) but as these are happening outside of the Web Part there's not much that can be done (and it's hard to reproduce)
Jun 1, 2006 at 5:05 PM
I am also getting these exception errors randomly with the webpart. I think that IIS is crashing or resets when this happens.

I am getting events in the application log at the same time:

"Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, stamp 42435be1, faulting module stswel.dll, version 11.0.6568.0, stamp 42e17544, debug? 0, fault address 0x000609db."

OR

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, stamp 42435be1, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.3790.1830, stamp 4243785e, debug? 0, fault address 0x00026f76.

and sometimes in module onetutil.dll or owssvr.dll

I wasn't getting these errors before installing the webpart, I am wondering if I messed up something in the web.config? Everything else seems to be working and the "Exception Occurred" and HRESULT errors are very random.

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Can't say I've ever seen these kind of errors on SharePoint (forum web part or not) so I would look at your system in general and what else changed in the environment (sql server, active directory, etc.).

Not saying it's not my web part, but I've just never seen this on an installation of SharePoint. Ever.