Sorting the categories and the forums

Topics: User Forum
May 31, 2006 at 1:39 PM
I have been trying to find a way to order the categories that show up at the opening page, in a way other than the order in which they were created.

While searching through the lists, I found out that the is a SortOrder field that I believe is there for that purpose.

My question is this. How can I change the SortOrder value for each one of the categories/forums. Is it an upcomming change?

If my assumption about SortOrder is wrong is there another way of changing the order? (Even sorting by title will do fine :D)

Thanks,
Tasos
May 31, 2006 at 1:49 PM
OK

Just browsed through the issue tracker and saw a task about my question. Yesterday it wasn't there.

It has been there only for an hour! What are the chances? :D

Anyway sorry for the post. I would delete it if I could :-(

Thanks again and sorry,
Tasos
May 31, 2006 at 4:13 PM
I think it went in there because I asked about sort order this morning. It is difficult - there are so many things that are 'high priority' but I'm desperate not to delay the June release - http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=SPFORUMS&ReleaseId=27 . it just looks so sexy.

I can see that sort order is difficult - I was hoping to make it easier by suggesting alphabetical sort of categories and then fora within categories. That way we could have some control over the order (eg by starting the Categories and Fora names with a number), or at least the users would see some sense to the order and we could tell them that 'the computer puts it like that'!

Maybe next release?