Forum Efficiency

Topics: User Forum
Jun 2, 2006 at 2:39 PM
I installed the SharePoint Forums WebPart about a week and a half ago. It is currently the only custom SharePoint WebPart on my site. The past few days, as people started posting more, the site seems to slow down like crazy. It typically takes about 20-30 seconds to open the page with the forum on it. Removing it brings the site back to the speed it had originally. The machine is a 3.04gHz HT p4, 2gig ddr, Win2k3.

Any suggestions? I like the forum and would rather not remove it, but if there is nothing I can do about performance there is not much choice.
Jun 2, 2006 at 4:29 PM
I think it is something to do with the time taken to count all the posts and find the most recent post, for each forum. The admin page is almost the same, but displays very quickly - it doesn't have the count or date fields.

I have reported it to Bil, and I hope he may be able to fix it for the release in a couple of weeks time?

One suggestion I wondered about was collapsing the categories down, so the forums don't display by default. This would be quick. And then maybe if you clicked on one of the categories it would expand out - but this would only slow it down by those forums? I bet Bil has got a better way.
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2006 at 8:50 PM
I have a task this weekend to look at performance. It was working fine, but I might have changed something so I'll see. If it's a bug I'll have it fixed for the next release.