home page

Topics: User Forum
Jun 8, 2006 at 9:28 AM
We are getting lots of people who want to have lots of different fora. I know we can only have one discussion group, so the home page is getting very long and almost unmanageable. It is also taking a long time to display.

I wondered if it might be a good idea for the home page to be displayed as just the categories, showing the count of fora and posts and the most recent post?

Maybe one of the categories could be 'expanded'?

Or maybe the user would have to click on the category name to drill down into that category and see the list of fora?

Or are these rubbish ideas for a non-problem?
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2006 at 12:00 PM
A few things. I'm fixing the performance loading so when you have lots of categories/posts/etc. it'll be fine.

There's a bug fix coming so when you click on a category it filters and only shows the forums for that category. You would be able to directly go to that link and only show 1 category and it's forums.

I'm looking at having a config option or something to have categories expanded/collapsed by default. Also paging of informaiton is going to be added (configurable) so you can do something like only show 20 forums on one page with a "Next Prev" type link to show others.
Jun 9, 2006 at 11:45 AM
Dear Bil,

I think that addresses all my wanderings - excellent answer!

Cheers

Eric