Happy Monday

Topics: User Forum
Jun 15, 2006 at 9:21 AM
Oooh - I'm excited about Monday - I wondered if you still think that is going to be the new release 1.1?

Lots of people have tried it here, and for a sedate bunch of users, the most common response is 'it is so exciting!'.

Even as it is, everyone thinks it is a million times better than standard SharePoint discussion groups. With the fora showing more clearly when a new post is put in, it will just rock. Major shocks aside, I'll be pressing to launch it on our live organisational site with about 2,000 users. I just wanted to check that you are happy for us to do that at this stage?

Cheers

Eric
Jun 19, 2006 at 1:04 PM
ahhh - moved to 1st July. I understand entirely - but can't pretend I'm not disappointed.

At the moment we are testing this with about 50 users. I'm keen to roll it out to all our 2,000 users. The things we need to let us do that are:-

1)the menu page correctly showing the last post date/time.

2)the forum threads being ordered with the thread with the most recent post at the top
(at the moment, it is impossible to tell when there has been a recent post - so we had a burst of people using it, but they are now lost as to whether there has been a new post, and so useage has pretty well stopped).

3)displaying the main menu page quickly, irrespective of how many posts there are (we are up to 12 seconds and rising rapidly).

So if I had a vote, they are the 3 high priority things.

Cheers

Eric
Jun 19, 2006 at 2:23 PM
Some people here have asked if there is any chance of getting our hands on a release that provides these three things, if they are available before all the other, bigger, more complex things? Sort of 1.0.5.0?

It's only because we are so keen to make this excellent product live to all our users, honestly.
Jun 19, 2006 at 9:27 PM
I too find the current version slow to load (especially on the first screen), and am looking forward to the next version. This forum software is leaps and bounds over the native discussion web part.

On that note, how easy is it to upgrade to the next version when it's completed? Is it as simple as replacing the DWP file?

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2006 at 4:08 AM
As there's no quoting in these forums (argh) it's hard to repsond to some of your questions but I'll give it a shot.

1. Sorry about the move, but it's just hard getting back into doing anything after being sucked into TechEd for an entire week. I also didn't accomplish jack while I was there, which I had planned to knock off a few features and bug fixes. Anyways, I am back to speed now that I'm home but had to move the release out a couple of weeks.

2. The upgrade will be seamless. You'll need to replace the dll files and they'll be an updated entry in the SafeControls and a new DWP, but otherwise it's a piece of cake.
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2006 at 4:09 AM
One more thing, the performance problem is fixed and will be in 1.1 so just hang in there with your current load times. It was an oversight on my part but is corrected now.
Jun 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM
I'm getting all excited again - 1.1 release date is the 1st - only 2 days away.

It is a Saturday, so I guess we won't get our hands on it then. Any idea what the release date will really be? Too much to hope for tomorrow? So might it be Monday....?

I've just got users clamouring for this to go live. I never imagined they'd get that excitied about it all!
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2006 at 10:56 PM
Just wanted to let anyone know about the release. We're just working on it now. I thought I had the weekend to get things together so it'll really be a Sunday night/Monday morning release instead of July 1st. Just want to pack in as much as I can and keep things stable. Hopefully we'll have an installer, but not sure yet but the other work items are done and will be part of the release.
Jul 3, 2006 at 9:25 AM
Great, Cant wait !! it's 10:24 am - here in London, still a few hours to wait until the release.

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2006 at 4:58 AM
Argh, having some problems with updating counts so I'm going to bed here for now (11pm) and hit it again in the morning.

I hate when I miss a date.
Jul 4, 2006 at 10:58 AM
I'd have thought you'd be having today off?

Not that I necessarily see it as an anniversary to celebrate, but I can understand why your country does, and I think we have both done reasonably well since we parted - separate but with similar ideals and still friends?
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2006 at 1:32 PM
Days off? What's that.

And hey, as long as you're not lobbing bombs over the border onto our chicken farms, I'm friends with anyone.
Jul 4, 2006 at 3:52 PM
I'm not quite sure of the reference to chicken farms, but with five chickens of our own, anyone who likes chickens is OK by me.
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2006 at 8:28 PM
Just a status update on where things are at right now.

I have one bug to fix up the updates to counts which is bugging me. Performance fixes are in but the counts are wrong so something is rotten in Denmark. I'm fixing this right now.

There's some cleanup to do on the displays which I'll cram in as much as I can tonight before about 10pm (MST).

Then I'll package the release and do some upgrade testing (tests have been run all along, this is just the "test drive" test which shouldn't be an issue famous last words).

A couple of features fell off the backlog bandwagon as I didn't have as much time to dedicate to this release as I wanted so I'll have to push those off to the August release.

There are some mid-month things that I may push out for people that want anonymous support. It just wasn't tested enough to go with it right now.

Back later with a package! Woohoo.
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2006 at 4:02 AM
Okay, it's out there.

Just updating the documentation, creating a short readme for the Wiki (there's an installer now so less dribble installing) and will be posting a blog item shortly.

If you're reading this (or are subscribed to the RSS feed here) you can grab the release from the Releases page.

Download the MSI and run it.

Go. Go now.
Jul 5, 2006 at 4:13 AM
bows down

Thank you Bil :)
Jul 5, 2006 at 6:41 AM
Hi,

I wanted to be the first ones to use 1.1.0.0 But unfortunately I did run the MSI. But when i try to add the Sharepoint Forum webpart. I get the Web part is not safe error. Although I can see the safecontrol lines in the web.config

Where am I going wrong. The earlier tweaking of custom policy is not required now?

My Trust-level is full

Please guide.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2006 at 6:56 AM
Try redownloading the MSI. I had to post a newer one (472 instead of 471) to fix a path in the resources.
Jul 5, 2006 at 7:58 AM
Hi,

Installed after downloading the new version. Still face an error when i add the webpart.