message post via forwarding?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 15, 2006 at 2:25 PM
Believe it or not, I'm using the forums as a place for some members of other techincal support forums to bash, in private of course, the stupid questions that some people ask. How feasible would it be to allow messgaes to be posted to a forum via an e-mail forwarding? We get daily e-mail updates of the other stuff and would like to add it to our personal bashing forum via a forward.

I have an SMTP/POP3 server running on my domain and I could easily assign a mail box to the shaerpoint site admin user the app pool runs as... so setting up some sort of triggering mechanism that checks the mailbox and posts the message would be the trick. Hmmm, and how would you verify the user that sent the mail was legit? I suppose you could verify the e-mail address of the sender against the e-mail addys of the forms users. The site is in AD creation mode so they would have to match for the user to enter the site in the first place. Hmmm...

Anyway, just a thought and by no means an important one.

Gary Parr
Jun 15, 2006 at 7:40 PM
There is a company that makes a product that does something very similar. Can't remember who it was though.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2006 at 10:16 PM
I'm looking at updating the RSS feeds (that are available in the next release, they're working in the current dev build right now) and adding the Metablog API support. So basically you'll be able to reply from any news aggregator and if you're running Outlook 2007 you can reply via it.

There are also some email subscribed forums that are coming, but not until the 2007 version which will be out after the TR of Office Server in August.
Jun 15, 2006 at 11:39 PM
Great news! Thanks!