Problem with Forum Navigation

Topics: Bug Hunt, Developer Forum
Apr 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Hi there,

finally i have the forum running. But i have a problem with the "Forum Navigation" i have created some Forums wich are only visible for users of a special group.
It looks like it is working because others can't see the forums on the first page, but when they klick on "Forum Navigation" they can see the "hidden" forums and can also select them and will see the posts.
They can't answer or reply, but they can read, any hint how to change this behavior?

thx in advance
Apr 15, 2008 at 7:25 PM
This might help...

Create a new Forum:
1. Click on “Admin” at the top of the Webpart
2. Click on “Forums” on the left had hand side.
3. Click on “Add Forum” on the bottom of the forums.
4. Enter the forum name, and category.
5. Click “Submit.”
6. Click “Home.”

Secure a forum so user has to be explicitly granted permissions:
1. Click on “Admin” at the top of the Webpart
2. Click on “Forums” on the left had hand side.
3. Choose the forum you want to secure, and click “Manage Permissions” in the permissions column.
4. Click on “Edit” under actions for Reader and uncheck all options. Click “Submit.”
5. Click “Admin,” “Forums,” and “Manage Permissions” for that forum again.
6. Click on “Edit” under actions for Contributor and uncheck all options. Click “Submit.”
7. Create a new group, by clicking on “Admin”, “Groups,” “Add Group” at the bottom. Enter a group name (Same as forum – Use) and click “Submit.”
8. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit” (to the appropriate group).
9. Assign all permissions except “Delete,” and then click “Submit.”
10. Click on “Admin” -> Users and choose “Edit” on the user you want to add to the forum.
11. Click the group you created for it, and then click “Submit.”

Change default permissions so all users are readers (to all forums) until changed (not recommended):
1. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit Default Forum Permissions,” “Edit,” on Reader permission.
2. Remove all permissions except Read and click submit.
3. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit Default Forum Permissions,” “Edit,” on Contributor permission.
4. Remove all permissions and click submit.

Change default permissions so all users can contribute (to all forums) until changed:
1. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit Default Forum Permissions,” “Edit,” on Reader permission.
2. Remove all permissions except Read and click submit.
3. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit Default Forum Permissions,” “Edit,” on Contributor permission.
4. Assign the “Edit,” and “Reply” permission.

Assign permissions to the default forum to create topics / delete material. (not recommended)
1. Click on “Admin,” “Users” and “Edit” on the user that should be promoted to admin.
2. Click on the permission “Administrator.” and then “Submit”
3. This will give elevated permissions to all of the forums that the default permissions reside on.

Create a new group and assign permissions to the individual forum to create topics / delete material.
1. Create a new group, by clicking on “Admin”, “Groups,” “Add Group” at the bottom. Enter a group name (Same as forum – Moderate) and click “Submit.”
2. Click on “Admin,” “Forums,” “Edit” (to the appropriate group).
3. Assign “Add” and “Delete” and then click “Submit.”
4. Click on “Admin” -> “Users” and choose “Edit” on the user you want to add to the forum.
5. Click the group you created for it, and then click “Submit.”

Assign a user permissions to control security of all of the forums.
1. Click on “Admin,” “Users” and “Edit” on the user that should be promoted to admin.
2. Click on the permission “Is Administrator,” and “Administrator” then “Submit”
3. This will give elevated permissions to the entire structure, so they can make security changes as well as modify changes.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Thank you tequila00shots,

i have created the forums as you mentioned, i created a new user group which has read/write/quote permissions to this new forum.
i took the permissions from Reader, Contributor groups for this new forum, so that they are not allowed to do anything (not even read).
The Forum does not show up on the first page for a normal reader now (as expected), but when this user clicks on the "Forum Navigation" panel, the forum is listet an he can navigate into this forum, it is also possible to navigate to this forum directly by adding the forum number in the adress list.

Any hints??

thx a lot!