Is there a way to reverse an order of posts and topics?

Topics: User Forum
Jun 30, 2006 at 11:36 AM
I didn't find a way to change the default sorting of messages and topics in this forum.
As for me the most recent posts (topics with the most recent posts) must be on the top of a list.
Did I miss anything?

Andrew
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2006 at 1:44 PM
This has been fixed in the next release. There's no way to change the order currently.
Jul 13, 2006 at 4:26 PM
Is there a way to switch it back so the first post appears at the top?
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2006 at 4:57 PM
Like I said, no. The request was to have the sorting so that newest items would appear first. I implemented this (which was the reverse of what was there) but now people are asking it back. So that's why the next release will allow you to make it configurable. You decide which way works for you. Right now it's built into the system (as a result of the request for the feature and the subsequent implementation of said feature).
Jul 14, 2006 at 11:38 AM
I think there are two different things here.

1) the order in which topics are displayed in the forum menu

2) the order in which posts are displayed when you are viewing a topic

I think the original poster is correct. In terms of 1) (the topics listed in the forum menu), it should be 'topics with the most recent posts'. This is fairly standard for discussion groups, and was really what I was after when I asked for - http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?ProjectName=SPFORUMS&WorkItemId=277
This would mean that topics can be 'bumped' to the top of the list by someone posting to them.

In terms of 2) - the order in which posts are viewed when you look at a topic, I think the standard is the first post first - so you can see what the topic is about. This combined with a mechanism to go quickly to the end of the discussion works well. However, if some people want it ordered with the most recent at the top, and it can be made configurable, then I guess that is best all round (even if I don't really understand).
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2006 at 2:14 PM
So maybe as an interim to configurable options:

1. Fix the topic display. I think there's something wrong like when someone views a topic, that shouldn't bump it to the top. Only a post should do that.

2. Change the view of the posts so first post is up top with last at the bottom.

Would that work?
Jul 17, 2006 at 1:21 PM
Sorry for the delay replying.

Yes, your suggestion would be my ideal.

However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Fix the topic display. I think there's something wrong like when someone views a topic, that shouldn't bump it to the top. Only a post should do that'.

At the moment, the display of topics within a forum is ordered with the most recently created topic first. This is not affected by anyone viewing the topic. My ideal would be if the display of topics correctly showed when the 'last post' for each topic had been submitted and was ordered according to that, with the most recent at the top. This would mean a topic could be 'bumped' to the top by someone posting something to the topic.

It is the 'Today's topics' report that is affected by viewing. This report does show topics that have been viewed today, not those that have been posted today. Changing this report so it shows those that have been posted today, with the most recently posted at the top is another good way to identify recent posts.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2006 at 3:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification, I'll take a closer look at these when I get to the fix for them.