comments

Topics: User Forum
Jul 6, 2006 at 2:17 PM
Dear Bil,

Many thanks for releasing v1.1. We have got it installed, and I thought I'd post my first round of comments.

1) When a topic is displayed, it is now shown reversed, with the most recent at the top (a bit like an email thread). This makes it very difficult to read and isn't the way that phpbb discussions are shown.

2)a key item is for users to be able to see which forums have had posts recently. On the main menu page, the 'last post' column doesn't show the last post, it shows the date/time of the last topic creation. Also on the main page, the 'posts' column shows zeros all the way down.

3) on the forum menu page, the last post column also shows the date/time the topic was created. The menu page is also ordered according to the date/time of topic creation, with the most recent at the top. I was hoping it would be according to the date/time of the most recent post for each topic, to allow topics that have just had a psot to be 'bumped' to the top.

4) I'm not sure about the 'today's topics'. If it lists the topics which had had a post today, then I think it might be useful. If it is topics that have been created today, then I think it will be less so (I'll try that tomorrow).

5)One of our team managed to create a post with no title (oh, well done, smartypants). Of course this means there is no link to it, and so you can't read it. I guess that is his problem then!

6)I was looking for the search facility, but I can't see it - did it make it to the final release?

Once again, many thanks for the release.

Cheers for now,

Eric

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:18 PM
Sorry - forget the search bit. I see it was moved to V2.

Cheers

Eric
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM
I hate not having quoting (or even seeing the thread here) but here goes the poor mans version:

"1) When a topic is displayed, it is now shown reversed, with the most recent at the top (a bit like an email thread). This makes it very difficult to read and isn't the way that phpbb discussions are shown."

This feature keeps flip flopping. It was with the most recent at the bottom, but then people didn't like it so I changed it. Guess I'll have to make it an option now or something as I'm not changing it back.

"2)a key item is for users to be able to see which forums have had posts recently. On the main menu page, the 'last post' column doesn't show the last post, it shows the date/time of the last topic creation. Also on the main page, the 'posts' column shows zeros all the way down."

I think there's a work item called "Recent posts" which will display all posts (from most recent first) which should satisfy this. As for the "posts" column, might be a bug so I'll check that. You can run the "Recalculate Totals" option in the admin menu to fix this temporarily.

(cont)
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM
(cont from last post)

"3) on the forum menu page, the last post column also shows the date/time the topic was created. The menu page is also ordered according to the date/time of topic creation, with the most recent at the top. I was hoping it would be according to the date/time of the most recent post for each topic, to allow topics that have just had a psot to be 'bumped' to the top."

I'll look into this to see what can be done.

"4) I'm not sure about the 'today's topics'. If it lists the topics which had had a post today, then I think it might be useful. If it is topics that have been created today, then I think it will be less so (I'll try that tomorrow)."

Sounds like a good idea.

"5)One of our team managed to create a post with no title (oh, well done, smartypants). Of course this means there is no link to it, and so you can't read it. I guess that is his problem then!"

I'll log this as a bug.

Thanks for the feedback!
Jul 7, 2006 at 1:21 PM
Today's posts seems to show topics created today and topics that have had posts today - so that seems pretty useful.

I wondered if there was likely to be a release soon to address the fact that the 'last post' columns show the date/time of the first post, and that the topics are listed in order of creation rather than ordered according to the most recent post in each topic? Or is that going to go into release 2? I'm just trying to get clear in my head when I'm going to release this to our users - and these were the 'go/no go' items I was waiting for.

Cheers

Eric
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2006 at 1:16 PM
These are now logged into the following work items:

847 Do not allow creation of topic without subject High
846 Fix ordering of forum posts to allow bumping Medium
845 Post count not showing correctly on main page Medium 274 Last Post column incorrectly displayed Medium Issue
844 Configurable topic sort

They're slotted for the next drop in August. Sorry but time is too restrictive to get a bug fix out for the sorting and post bug but I'll see what I can do.