sub-categories

Topics: User Forum
Jul 13, 2006 at 12:54 PM
One of my senior managers asked of he could have 'sub-categories' within this tool?

The example is that he wants a top level category called 'Operational equipment' (I work in the Fire Service) and then sub categories beneath that for the different types of equipment (eg pump, cutting gear, line rescue equipment).

Any chance?
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2006 at 2:00 PM
"The example is that he wants a top level category called 'Operational equipment' (I work in the Fire Service) and then sub categories beneath that for the different types of equipment (eg pump, cutting gear, line rescue equipment)."

There's been a request before for this, so it might warrant creating a heirachy of categories.

However, what if you just used the system the way it is today?

Catgory: Operational Equipment
Forum: Pump
Topic: Getting the pump to work (or whatever you talk about with regards to pumps)
Topic: Pump 101 not working, what might be the cause?
Forum: Cutting Gear
Forum: Line Rescue Equipment

Each forum would have it's own set of topics on say pumps, but only pumps. I really can't believe you would want to talk about pumps in the cutting gear forum would you?

Does that work for you?
Jul 14, 2006 at 11:26 AM
Sorry - I was being hassled to go to a meeting when I posted, so I wasn't clear.

I'm basically using the category to define the 'area' of work. So there is one for Information Systems, another for Fire Safety, another for Media & Communications, another for Operational Services etc.

Within each Category, there are Forums. The manager of the 'Operational Services' work area wants a number of 'sub categories', for example Equipment, Fire Appliances, PPE etc.

And then beneath each sub category he wants forums for different items. So under Equipment, he wants pumps, cutting gear etc.

It might be possible to do it as is if the top level menu were 'compressed' and clicking on the category showed all the forums. And the Forums could be ordered (eg alphabetically). It is just if we have as many as they seem to want, the front menu page is going to go on for pages and pages!

A problem of success!
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2006 at 2:12 PM
Yes, that was a feature that was in there. Click on a category and you only get the category (and forums it has) displayed. It got dropped when something changed, but will be back. It's also a URL you can navigate to (when it's implemented) so your URL to the forum might be:

http://server/sites/site/default.aspx?control=ViewForums&cat=3

Or whatever. This will only display category 3 and all it's forums.

Hopefully that will work, but I'll consider the sub-categories as this isn't the first request for it.