Installing SharePoint Forums on WSS 3.0

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2009 at 7:16 PM
Until we get the WSS 3.0/MOSS version available to you, ProgramPhases.com has put together an excellent article on setting up the web part on WSS 3.0.

You can find their instructions here on the site.

Here are the steps reproduced in case the site isn't available. I haven't verified these to work but some people say it does. HTH.

Installing Sharepoint Forums 1.2 support in WSS3 includes the following steps:

• Install ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 for WSS3
  • Download and Install Sharepoint Forums 1.2
  • Add Custom JavaScript Code to the default.master Page
  • Add the Sharepoint Forums 1.2 Web Part to a Sharepoint Page

The instructions for installing ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 support in WSS3 can be found here

Download the latest version of the forums from the releases tab here.

After downloading Sharepoint Forums 1.2, install using the provided setup program.

Open a command prompt and run the following command from the
C:\Program Files\WPPackager\{14aa60ab-2b6b-4254-b45e-0ef7b8b2a201} folder:

stsadm.exe -o addwppack -filename "SharePointForums-1.2.0.0_Bil Simser.cab" -globalinstall -force 

Edit the default.master file using Office Sharepoint Designer 2007. Put following JavaScript code immediately before the ending </body> tag in the file.

<script type="text/javascript">
function ProcessOwsForm(ctl, argument)
{

if (frm.fPreviewMode)
{
var LcantSaveText = "This form cannot be saved when previewing this page.";
window.alert(LcantSaveText);
return;
}
if (frm.FValidate(true))
{
frm.FPostProcess();
var theForm = document.forms['aspnetForm'];
__doPostBack2(ctl, argument);
}
}
function __doPostBack2(eventTarget, eventArgument)
{
theForm.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget;
theForm.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
theForm.submit();
}
</script>

Now you can add the SharePoint Forums Web Part to any page in your site.

Thanks again to ProgramPhases.com for these instructions!

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM
Bil, it worked well.

However, it not says to you how your user can see the webpart.
If you do that, just administrator will see the webpart.

To give users permission for the webpart, you should create a permission level that gives the "manage lists" permission. Using this permission for your users, they will can post, like normal users.

However, this permission gives also permission to create lists.
I researched about that, and this is the only permission that the webpart accept to work well.

Do you have any idea about how can I make my users use this webpart without the "manage lists" permission? Because i can't let them create and edit lists.

Really thanks about the suport,

Regards,
Pablo Bertrão

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Thanks for the update, forgot about that part you added in the other thread. Although the 1.2 version any user with read rights should be able to participate. The web part impersonates the admin user to do the posting so users dont' need manage or even write permissions. It might not be working correctly under 3.0/2007 (the code has been changed to a different call that should work correctly). I'll keep this in mind when I get the new version released (keep getting pulled in various directions trying to get it out the door).
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM
This way to install the webpart also works under MOSS 2007.
Thank you for the support.
Using MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0, the webpart just is displayed under manage lists permission.
I've tryed ALL permissions, and just the manage lists maked my users use the webpart. I created also a lot of permission levels, with diferent permissions.
I'll be waiting for the next release to make another tests.

Thank you again,

Regards,
Pablo Bertrão