New release

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 15, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Is there a new time when the 2.0 release will be out ? Feb 12 has come and gone.
Feb 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM
+1, I am really looking forward to V2.
Feb 22, 2007 at 2:10 PM
Looks like it was pushed to Feb 26th.
Feb 22, 2007 at 3:09 PM
Please include installation documentation for people who are not SharePoint experts.

Your webpart has a LOT of potential and it will be very popular, it's a lot more intuitive etc. than the standard SharePoint discussion webpart.

Thank you, Tom
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM
Just a note that I've had to push releases of my software on CodePlex out a week due to other committments. Release dates are now set at March 6. Sorry about that.
Mar 5, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Expect a LOT of traffic tomorrow!! :) :) Thank you, Tom
Mar 6, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Is this still going to be released today?
Mar 8, 2007 at 4:47 PM
Any word on that release?
Mar 8, 2007 at 11:10 PM
I have browsed this site quite extensively and noticed that all developers for sharepoint are a bit flaky. Most of the time they miss the release date by at least a month. In addition, they seem to rarely update the discussion so everyone is just kind of left hanging. That doesn't say that the end product is no good, only that communication with expecting netizens is poor. You may also notice thru other projects that the support is poor; apparently this is not their primary function in life. I would suggest you set this discussion to email you when it is updated, and don't get your hopes up for a fantastic release or very good support. I post this comment mostly because I don't expect it to be read, therefore would suffer no ill repercussions. In the end, you get what you pay for.
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2007 at 6:20 PM

abonnell wrote:
I have browsed this site quite extensively and noticed that all developers for sharepoint are a bit flaky. Most of the time they miss the release date by at least a month. In addition, they seem to rarely update the discussion so everyone is just kind of left hanging. That doesn't say that the end product is no good, only that communication with expecting netizens is poor. You may also notice thru other projects that the support is poor; apparently this is not their primary function in life. I would suggest you set this discussion to email you when it is updated, and don't get your hopes up for a fantastic release or very good support. I post this comment mostly because I don't expect it to be read, therefore would suffer no ill repercussions. In the end, you get what you pay for.

I totally agree with you and I dropped the ball on the release of my product. Yes, this is a hobby for us and not our day job. Things get in the way and in the grand scheme of what's important and takes priority, these things take a back seat. Unfortunately that's the way it is unless you've got a huge team where you don't have a bottleneck burden like I do.
Mar 11, 2007 at 5:12 PM
Do you have a revised release date? I'm still interested in obtaining this feature.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2007 at 3:51 AM
The planned date is now a month out (April 2nd). I'm now focused on this date as I have my other projects out of the way for it so that's the plan as of right now.
Mar 13, 2007 at 4:02 PM
I don't suppose there is a temporary fix to the "7202 RE: Slow display of the main menu page" problem?

Unless we can figure out a band-aid, our forums are out of commission until 2.0 come out.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2007 at 6:21 PM

hendrimp wrote:
I don't suppose there is a temporary fix to the "7202 RE: Slow display of the main menu page" problem?

Unless we can figure out a band-aid, our forums are out of commission until 2.0 come out.

Sorry there's no temporary fix but I'm actively trying to get the source online by this weekend. In addition I'll see if I can find a quick fix and maybe we can do a 1.99999 release to fix the problem for everyone right now (2003 installs only).
Mar 15, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Sorry there's no temporary fix but I'm actively trying to get the source online by this weekend. In addition I'll see if I can find a quick fix and maybe we can do a 1.99999 release to fix the problem for everyone right now (2003 installs only).

We're running 2003, so that would be great. The source code would also be a welcome option.

Thanks much.
Apr 3, 2007 at 4:39 PM

bsimser wrote:

Any chance of doing that 1.99999 release? I'm sure you're really busy on releasing 2.0 and everything, but it'd be a tremendous help.

Thanks again for your work on all this.
Apr 4, 2007 at 10:28 PM
Any updates on the release? Was set for 4/2/2007. Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2007 at 5:38 AM
I'm just finishing up the 2003 release (version 2.0) which is taking a day or two to get everything done (including getting the source code released). The 2007 compatible version will come later as it's being packaged into a different project. More info on this later. The forums will go out along with the first release of my Knowledgebase web part.
Apr 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM
Woohoo! Thanks Bill!
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM
Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I suffered a bit of a geek-boo-boo by dropping my external USB drive which had, of course, VM images and the latest source for the project. I think the problem might be the enclosure and am going out to get a replacement today, however if it's the hard drive I'm going to be set back a few days as I recover from an older copy and update with the latest changes.

Yeah, not having a great day. Just wanted to let everyone know things are moving forward.

Thanks.
Apr 11, 2007 at 8:47 AM
Hi bil,

it seems that you are very busy and cannot deliver new versions on the schedule that you would like. I asked before if you could post the source code so you could get some support from the community in getting the job done. A lot of people could really use your forum in sharepoint 2007 and are already waiting for a long time. Just upload your source code, add some developers to the project, define some tasks and we'll get the job done together :-)

Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2007 at 1:13 PM
@beaufort: That's absolutely the plan however it's easier said than done. I haven't even had enough time to sit down, package up the code, get TFS working for an import, and do the work. That is the plan, it's just a matter of getting a few straight hours to do it.
Apr 25, 2007 at 10:08 AM
Hi Bill

I appreciate that you are really busy and that this is an unpaid/spare time project, however this latest release has been a long time in coming. Could you please advise if there is any date for the new release as i have been waiting a long time to deploy the new version in our environment as i found too many problems with version 1.2

Thanks

Kevin
May 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM

beaufort wrote:
Hi bil,

it seems that you are very busy and cannot deliver new versions on the schedule that you would like. I asked before if you could post the source code so you could get some support from the community in getting the job done. A lot of people could really use your forum in sharepoint 2007 and are already waiting for a long time. Just upload your source code, add some developers to the project, define some tasks and we'll get the job done together :-)

Thanks.

I second this :) I was thinking about creating a forum web part for my company so id be more than willing to help if you want to share the source code.

G
May 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM
Edited May 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM
Hi Bil,

almost a month has passed since my last request and even more so in respect to earlier posts. I don't want to be pushie and respect your busy schedule. But I would really like to know when the sharepoint 2007 version will come out or if you could find the time to post the source code so we could help finish it. I've got a couple of clients waiting for the new release and I cannot affort to let them wait much longer. Otherwise I would have to look for alternatives and there aren't much sp forums like yours so I would likely end up developing one on my own. That would be a little waist of time since you already made one that's really great.

Regards,
Bert
May 9, 2007 at 3:55 AM
Bill, I could probably throw in a hand as well (gentle nudge :-)
r/
Scott
May 9, 2007 at 8:48 AM
Edited May 9, 2007 at 9:47 AM
Hi Bill, Thankx for publishing.

Harry
Coordinator
May 9, 2007 at 1:04 PM

beaufort wrote:
almost a month has passed since my last request and even more so in respect to earlier posts. I don't want to be pushie and respect your busy schedule. But I would really like to know when the sharepoint 2007 version will come out or if you could find the time to post the source code so we could help finish it. I've got a couple of clients waiting for the new release and I cannot affort to let them wait much longer. Otherwise I would have to look for alternatives and there aren't much sp forums like yours so I would likely end up developing one on my own. That would be a little waist of time since you already made one that's really great.

Source code is posted. Sorry for the delays.