Can't create a new forum

Topics: User Forum
Aug 23, 2006 at 5:26 PM
I've got a horrible problem. I can't create a new forum.

I want to create a new forum under an exisiting category. When I try, it gives me the standard error page (you know, web parts maintenance etc). Forum in not created.

I tried creating a forum in another category. This time it succeeded - but displayed it under the wrong category. When I went back and edited it, it said it had put in under the category I had chosen.

I then tried to move the forum into the category I wanted it in - and it completely disappeared!

I wonder if it is something to do with changing the order of my categories and forums. I have used the order change tool a lot - I wonder if some of the code is still using the created order, not the order defined by the order tool?

Help me, please......
Aug 24, 2006 at 1:36 PM
I did a 'delete forums' and so started again. After a morning re-typing, I am back to as I was and I can create new forums. Fixed.

I'm not sure, but is may have been something to do with ordering and deleting categories and forums. Using V1.1, I needed to be able to order categories (you just know someone will come along and say they want a new category to be top, and why is X above Y). So I created 26 categories (A to Z) and then renamed some of them to be my live categories. They only became visible on the menu page when I put a forum in them - all the others remained hidden.

I then upgraded to V1.2, and saw there was an ordering tool in 1.2, so I used that.

This was fine, until some smart developer pointed out yesterday that the hidden categories were shown in the 'navigate forums' tool.

To stop this, I wanted to delete these 'hidden' categories, and there was no tool. So a kindly SharePoint admin person had a go at deleting them through the back door.

I hadn't tried to add a new forum since moving to 1.2, so I don't know if it was that, using the ordering tool or deleting the hidden categories.

But it seems to be OK now - I'm not going to use a back door again!

Cheers

Eric